The author hereby states that all perceived similarities between characters and people living or dead are either purely coincidental or a skewered nerve in your guilty conscience.

--Ilustrado, Miguel Syjuco

Friday, September 14, 2012

I Give Up

I was not the extremely studious student people believed me to be. I loved doing things out of the norm, but until that point in life, I tried to keep my desire for something different--something no one would ever expect me to do--inside my mind and confined behind the bars of my imagination.


Until I gave up.

I gave up trying to be someone I was not and this decision hardly affected how people saw me. I decided this was a good thing and didn't relapse back to my old self. Although people questioned me why I was no longer exhibiting extra effort and why I started forgetting things, they were oblivious to one of the most important decisions I have made in my life.

It was a satisfying moment, the one when I decided to stop pretending. It brought me closer to my real self and I started feeling more mature, even though I was only a fourth grade student that time.

I don't regret it and I believe that I never will.

----

Word for this post: Unalloyed
Book at hand right now: Tuesdays with Morrie

No comments:

Post a Comment